H.R. 3858, The National Science and Technology Strategy Act of 2021
The National Science and Technology Strategy Act moves forward on a provision first introduced by Lucas in H.R. 2153, the Securing American Leadership in Science and Technology Act (SALSTA). It directs OSTP to complete a comprehensive quadrennial review that will provide an overview of the nation’s innovation landscape and provide policymakers, industry, researchers, and other stakeholders with unbiased data and analysis to identify the future needs, barriers, and opportunities for U.S. science and technology. It also directs OSTP to take this analysis and develop a national science and technology strategy to provide recommendations for maintaining global leadership in science and technology.
The review will include analysis and recommendations to meet the following goals:
- Ensuring economic and national security
- Maintaining American leadership in science and technology
- Assessing global competition in science and technology
- Identifying potential threats to U.S. leadership science and technology
- Providing recommendations on strengthening the STEM workforce in the U.S.
- Improving regional innovation across the U.S.
- Providing the infrastructure tools needed to maintain science and technology leadership
- Reviewing administrative or legislative policies that affect the science and technology enterprise and making recommendations to change policies that hinder our research and development