Opening Statement Ranking Member Frank Lucas, Full Committee Organizational Meeting
It’s a privilege to be the Ranking Member of this Committee and to serve alongside the new and returning Members as we kick off the 116th Congress.
Congresswoman Johnson, I’d like to congratulate you on your chairmanship. We’ve had a good working relationship for years now, so it comes as no surprise that preparing together for the Committee’s organization this Congress has been both positive and productive.
I believe this bodes well for our ability to make meaningful progress on our shared priorities. We have important work ahead of us:
- Harnessing American innovation to improve energy efficiency and effectiveness
- Supporting pioneering research and basic science at our National labs
- Promoting cutting edge technologies like AI, machine learning, and cybersecurity solutions that create new jobs and keep our country competitive and secure
- Improving access to STEM education and building America’s STEM workforce
- And maintaining America’s global leadership in space exploration
We’ve already gotten started with bipartisan legislation to support innovative entrepreneurs through the I-Corps program.
We have a bill to curb sexual harassment in the scientific and academic communities.
And our Energy and Water Research Integration Act will encourage the development of innovative technologies for water use, reuse, and recovery in the energy sector.
I’m looking forward to moving these bills together and I believe the rules we are voting on today will allow for efficient Committee work.